Saturday 23 June 2012

Day One:


I’m walking around the proposed meeting place at Auckland International Airport wondering how on earth I’m going to recognise anyone from the team I’m meant to be going to Vanuatu with; I have never met them before – how on earth will I be able to find them? Fortunately; I had my Mum with me who thinks ‘out loud’ and she has quite a loud voice meaning the team actually found us because they could hear everything my Mum was saying and knew that I was going to Vanuatu and that I was looking for my team!

I must say the trip started less than smoothly! Carlton (the team leader) was late because they had lost one of his bags (it turns out for some reason the bag never left Wellington); the check-in team seemed flustered with our slightly larger group; I picked the wrong time to joke with the flight staff about big “bangs” on airplanes (it was to do with the sports balls we were taking expanding at high altitude and causing a “bang” so we had to deflate the balls and then realise the ball pump is in Carlton’s bag that NEVER left Wellington); then my stomach decided it would be a great time to be unsettled!

We finally arrived at the gate in a slightly unsettled way and we thought this would be a great time to do official introductions so we introduced ourselves to each other; committed our trip into God’s hands and finally we were on the plane heading to Vanuatu! Even though it probably wasn't the smooth start we were probably hoping for we did have to trust God more than if everything did go smoothly and it did bring the team together a lot quicker!

With a three hour flight ahead of me I was hoping my stomach would give me a nice flight – I was wrong! For a good hour and a half of the flight I was in my own little world as I struggled with a paralysing sick feeling!

I was desperate; stuck in an airplane feeling sick and knowing that if I was sick there was absolutely no-where for me to go. I did the only thing I could think of; I prayed! I prayed and I prayed and I prayed! It was in this prayer that I realised something; “My grace is sufficient; for my power is made perfect in weakness.” I was weak, but my weakness led me to pray and depend on God in a way I have never done before! It was a miserable flight but I spent most of the flight praying and as I thought about that I realised there really could be no better way to begin a mission trip than dedicating everything in pray to the Lord realising it is by His strength that I will get through!

Thankfully my stomach settled enough for me to enjoy the last 30 minutes of the flight and our first day at Port Vila, Vanuatu (it is still not quite right so prayers would be appreciated).

We were picked up from the airport by Jonathon and Katrina (workers for the Presbyterian church and education in Vanuatu) and were taken to the ‘traveller’s budget motel’ where we will spend our first 2 nights which is owned and operated by a very nice couple and it is actually (unlike the name would suggest) a really nice place to stay. Then, after getting changed into some shorts, t-shirts and jandles we started to explore Port Vila.   

It is a beautiful place with beautiful people. I’m reminded once again of the ‘friendliness’ of the Islands. As you walk down the streets people will smile and say “hello”, something that is becoming less and less common in Auckland. There is a warmth and genuiness about the local people and even a simple walk down the street can be fun and exciting! I’m realising very quickly that it will be the people that are going to help make this trip AMAZING - because already, after an afternoon in Port Vila the team just loves being here with the people!

After some exploring in Port Vila, Trevor (the only other male on the team apart from Carlton and myself) cooked us an amazing feed and it was a great meal where the team was able to continue to get to know each other and really begin to laugh and enjoy each other’s company! After clean-up we had our first team debrief and were able to share about how we were going at the end of day one. Although there are still uncertainties and nerves about the upcoming week we are all extremely excited to be here and Carlton once again reminded us that a lot of our work will be “showing up” and “dwelling among” the people!
   
Day one is over and it definitely wasn't as expected; however, since when has God been a God of the expected – bring on day two I say and I can't wait to see what else God has planned for us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment