Wednesday 27 June 2012

Day Five

I’m finding more and more of what I want to share in my blogs is not the structured ‘programmatic’ stuff that we do with the children each day but rather it is the random un-planned times where the ‘unexpected’ happens.

This morning started like most of our mornings beginning with 5.30am devotions with the students of the school; then breakfast and then into classes where we have been teaching English and then today we also did a class on NZ geography. Teaching the students has been amazing and there have been great moments within the classes – especially when we have been breaking into smaller groups and talking to 3-5 children getting them to have conversations in English; asking them about their favourite food and their favourite things to do in Tanna and things like that.

After a morning of classes we had an unexpected surprise, our Volcano trip was rescheduled for this afternoon so that we could see that Volcano at night because that is when it looks the best. It was a two hour drive on rough, steep roads, standing on the back of 4 wheel drive Utes and it was one of best car rides ever! The views as we drove up and down (and over) mountains was just spectacular.   

The Volcano itself was simply humbling! We stood at the foot of it to have a team photo and as the photo was taken we heard this loud thunderous rumble! The team all looked at each other – what are we getting ourselves into? When we got to the edge of the creator you cannot even explain what we saw; smoke and ash billowing up into the sky. Then, without warning you will hear a loud crash like thunder which usually makes everyone jump and then a fountain of lava will shoot into the sky. It was spectacular and at times rather frightening as lava got within 200 meters of us at one stage (we then moved locations after that explosion). I must say, as it got dark and night set in, words cannot then explain what you witness because the lava is so bright and red as it floods into the dark night sky! Truly one of the most amazing things I have ever seen and it really gave me a new understanding for the power and might of God.  

Then it was back to the school for a quick dinner and then we gathered into the hall for an hour of singing with the children and then we did night time devotions with them. It was a great night! The children taught us some of their songs in their native language of Bislama, we taught them some of our songs in English (like, ‘Move a little bit closer” and “Every move I make’), we all sung together ‘Lord I lift your name on high’ which they already knew. Then after devotions (we did a creative drama of the good Samaritan) they taught us a couple of new action songs, one in Bislama and one in English. It was a great night and we laughed with the children so much – they are really starting to open up to us and feel comfortable with us.

Again, it was this random (almost unplanned) hour singing with the children that I found really impacting. Just standing with the children, being able to teach them and have them teach us – it was just an amazing experience. As I watched the team dance and sing with the children I realised this trip is going better than I planned – I have often pictured how a ‘dream’ mission trip might look and this trip is going beyond what I ever imagined. Could I be falling in love with off-shore mission? (If you read my first blog you might understand my surprise because it is never something I thought would escite me).

It is time for bed because these 5.30am starts are really starting to get to me! I’ll try and get some photos up but no promises as this internet is very slow. I can’t wait to see what unexpected surprise God has in stall for us tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment